Saturday, September 15, 2007

It's Miller time for the Vipers

WHILE SOME do not know what they want to be even in later life, Todd Miller knew his future by the age of 14.
The youngster, who was prevented from playing sports because of a severe case of asthma, would listen to his hero, Jim Robson, doing play-by-play for the Vancouver Canucks and dream of being a broadcaster one day.
Then fate intervened.
When his father -- an RCMP officer -- was doing public service announcements on drinking and driving for the Merritt, B.C. radio station, he told the news director that his son, Todd, was interested in radio and "he might want to pursue it one day." So the youngster was given a tour and became "hooked" on radio.
"It was smack dab in the middle of the Canucks' playoff run in 1993 and what they needed in Merritt was a producer to actually physically punch in the commercials when Jim Robson went to break," remembers Miller.
So from there, he began his radio career, at the ripe old age of 14.
"So I'd get up at quarter to 6 in the morning, make my way to the radio station and sit there for three hours before I went to school" and absorb what the morning guy was doing.
When the Canucks made their long playoff run in 1994 against the (New York) Rangers, Miller was on duty "punching" in the commercials and learning.
From there, he advanced to doing the Saturday morning show on 'NL in Merritt in 1995 and he wasn't even 17.
"My mouth dropped to the floor. I was amazed they would have asked me ... because I had no education at all (in broadcasting). I think it was because I was keen and really had an interest in what was going on ... and they threw me an opportunity, so I accepted," said Miller.
With his foot definitely in the door, Miller did the Saturday show in Merritt for two years and one more year after he had finished his high-school education.
For the next five-six years, he did the play-by-play broadcast for the Merritt Centennials and even got in on the marketing end, however, when former Vernon coach Mike Vandekamp called him and offered him a play-by-play position with the British Columbia Junior A Vipers, Miller and his wife, Tiffany, moved to Vernon. That was some three seasons ago.
Now crowding age 27, Miller has broadcast more than 400 BCHL games, but he still gets "butterflies" and is presently doing his homework in preparation for his first radio broadcast of the season on 105.7 SUN FM on Friday, September 9 against the Williams Lake Timberwolves.
Miller has coupled the broadcasting end with being "director of corporate partnerships" which means assisting Jackie George in advertising and promotions.
However, with training camp and exhibition games now in full display, Miller has been concentrating and preparing for all 60 games he'll broadcast this season.
"I watch certain players (in training camp), watch their tendencies, how they skate, how they handle the puck, because once the season starts, I need to be knowledgeable about these players, especially if I have never seen them play before. So it's important over the next couple of weeks that I do my homework," explained Miller. "I want to make sure that I'm ready ... that I know everything about every player on this Vernon Vipers squad, not only for the Vipers, but for the other teams in this league."
What Miller sees is a "new-look" club, now under the tutelage of head coach and general manager Troy Mick.
Under former coach Vandekamp, the Vipers played a defensive style of hockey, according to Miller, but Mick brings a philosophical change. "He (Troy Mick) has said all along that he wants to see a high-flying, wide-open, run-and-gun style hockey, which is great for the fans. That's what fans want to see. They love to see goals, guys skate and handle the puck, so I'm really looking forward to it."
Then the fast-talking, fast-thinking Miller added, "I think we have the right guys, guys behind the bench and especially on the ice. You're going to see a lot of guys that are really talented with the puck, who will do some really neat things. It's going to be a nice change to what we're used to."
Miller said the Vipers, owned by Dr. Duncan Wray, had only a handful of players returning from last season, so competition will be fierce during training camp and the exhibition games, however, the club will still be counting on the likes of Cody McMullin (who led the team in scoring during the playoffs last season), Aaron Volpatti (still recovering from burns he suffered in the off-season), Wade Davison, blueliner Andy Zulyniak and goalie Jon Olthuis.
As for Miller's future, he said: "I started this whole career, doing play-by-play, with dreams of going to the National Hockey League, and now having a wife, and thinking in the next couple of years of having children, it's not necessarily about the National Hockey League ... it's now about supporting my family and doing what's right for them and what's right for me, personally."
Miller has an ideal situation as he said, "Dr. Wray and the Vipers have given me a great opportunity here in a great city and, you know what, I love every moment working for this hockey club and the people I work with in this organization."
Now, if you'll excuse, Todd Miller, the broadcaster, who overcame a serious case of asthma, he has "homework" to do.

No comments: