Friday, February 23, 2007

UFOs, Ogopogo and Sasquatch

It is the 'silly season.'
That's right, it's the time of year when the Ol' Columnist's thoughts turn to UFOs, Ogopogo and even Sasquatch.
So letting my fingers do the walking, I lifted the lid on the National UFO Reporting Center and found this July 14th story about some young lady in Scarborough, Ontario -- a suburb just east of Toronto.
"Star gazing and enjoying the cool breeze from the lake this evening, I was on my patio with my dog getting some fresh air. I saw something move across the sky above me, from east to west just over my head. Blinked my eyes to have a better look. When I refocused I saw an unusual object/objects. It was hard to determine if just one object or more then one because of the glow of lights on it/them.
"I can't give you a size because I"m not sure if it was more then one object or just one. There were three lights, in the shape of a triangle/chevron two bottom lights then one top ligh ... .in the direction of travel. The shape didn't appear to be all straight lines, it appeared shadowed in and curved a little on the inside like a chevron. It was a fuzzy outline and it's overcast tonight so I really couldn't make out if this was one object or not.
"The lights were not blinking like aircraft lights do, just illuminated, it wasn't a search light, spotlight or other regular type lighting, there was NO engine/motor sound, no propeller sound, no NOTHING! At first while I was watching it seemed to be moving at a fast pace like a streak above me which caught my eye ... I thought at first it was a shooting star. This craft/crafts, then slowed down almost to a crawl but still moving (slower then the speed you would see a satellite move in the night sky). Then it stopped but not abruptly, very gently and went the left (south towards the lake) then back to where it started from in the same line (east to west), then to the right (north) It came back to the original spot and began again traveling westward, towards the downtown or main core of Toronto.
"As I watched it, I noticed the speed was not consistent, very erratic like fast then slow but never jerky, very smooth but odd speeds. The speed seemed to move steadily after it did that little left right (north south) thing and began it's way west again. Eventually it was out of my sight.
"I remained outside for a while looking again and I know I will go back out again and look more. There was a small engine aircraft and a jet around the same time and area, one traveling east, the other south west (towards Toronto Island Airport). I've seen something almost identical to this with my father, in this same yard on this same patio and at the same time of year ... roughly 22 years ago. I was just a young girl then. THE ONLY difference, it was traveling from west to east and a bit lower in the sky. At that time there were (3) of them. I remember they were glowing and as I recall they looked, perhaps, with a green glow but not a dark or deep green rather a pale green, soft green.
"As for the other things, the chevron-shaped crafts .. .they look like the formation of how birds fly in a V but upside down ....the point is the direction it travels."
'Ms. Scarborough' continued describing her experience, but I wanted to focus on another unexplained phenomenon and that's Ogopogo.
On June 2nd, the headline in this newspaper read: Ogopogo searcher part of a strange breed. In it, Arlene Gaal explained her study of a strange animal that lives in Lake Okanagan in great detail. She also was certainly convincing in a well-searched Internet article which answered the question: Do you believe there is an Ogopogo?
"There is no doubt in my mind that there is an unidentified animal living in Lake Okanagan, whose name is Ogopogo. The Indians call it N'ha-a-itk. And it goes back three centuries in the Okanagan Valley."
When I read Tuesday's edition of the Kelowna Courier, a story by J.P. Squire got my attention for Arlene Gaal is liberally quoted and talking about a National Geographic TV special on Monday, Aug. 1 concerning a creature in the lake. I certainly will be tuning in, for it just might answer the ageless question: Is Ogie for real?
And then there's Sasquatch, also known as Bigfoot and Yeti or Abominable Snowman.
However, we'll save those stories of the hairy creature for another day.
NOW THAT'S HOT: Sometimes I run across some gems. One that caught my eye was written by author, speaker, syndicated columnist and remodeled man, W. Bruce Cameron, in relating his time as a judge at a 1997 chili cook-off:
He described something called Susan's Screaming Sensation Chili this way: JUDGE ONE: A mediocre chili with too much reliance on canned peppers. JUDGE TWO: Ho, Hum, tastes as if the chef threw in canned chili peppers at the last moment. I should note that I am a bit worried about Judge Number 3, he appears to be in a bit of distress. CAMERON: You could put a hand grenade in my mouth and pull the pin and I wouldn't feel it. I've lost the sight in one eye and the world sounds like it is made of rushing water. My clothes are covered with chili which slid unnoticed at some point. Good, at autopsy they'll know what killed me. Go Sally, save yourself before it's too late. Tell our children I'm sorry I was not there to conceive them. I've decided to stop breathing, it's too painful and I'm not getting any oxygen anyway. If I need air I'll just let it in through the hole in my stomach. Call the X-Files people and tell them I've found a super nova on my tongue.
EDITOR'S NOTE: Oops, Corbett forgot, but Cameron demanded the following blurb be attached to his chili copy: Copyright 1997 W. Bruce Cameron-- Please do not remove the copyright from this essay.

No comments: